Saturday, 8 November 2014

Hup Holland! Sailing on the Europa.

For my 21st birthday my parents sent me on a trip with the dutch sailing ship Europa. 12 days of sailing from Fremantle harbour to the Abrolhos island with a group of people from all over the world. Once I got through the crippling sea sickness it was the greatest adventure I have ever been on. We jumped over the side of the ship to snorkel over shipwrecks, found tiny islands with families of seals lazing on the sand, and saw countless whales and dolphins frolicking about. It was an absolute dream. 



the view of Fremantle harbour from my tiny cabin. I spent the first three days confined to my bed, certain that I was going to die of sea sickness and praying that they would fly in a helicopter to get me off the damn boat. No helicopter came, but luckily the waters calmed and I became a fully fledged sailor (sort of ;))

Castaways! Have you ever seen water so crystal clear? 

Oh my gosh! Flipper and friends.We followed these guys for a while, even jumping in for a swim at one point. Dolphins are the most amazing, mesmerising creatures.

 Niels, one of the crew members.

Swinging off the side of the boat! 

Every meal was served on the deck by the amazing cooks. So many delicious dutch dishes. 

One of the islands we went to was covered in snakes. I'm not lying, there was one of these guys every twenty metres... 

The Europa in all her glory. Take me back please. 

No comments:

Post a Comment